The Mystics (4-2) now have two losses on the season both belonging to the Connecticut Sun. The Sun (6-1) defeat the Mystics 83-75 with their dynamic duo of Jonquel Jones who scored 24 points and Courtney Williams who added 23 more. Shekinna Stricklen also scored 12 more points.
Washington began strong against the Sun behind Ariel Atkins’ 11 points in the first quarter. Keep in mind Atkins hadn’t made a field goal since at home facing the Chicago Sky last Wednesday. Mystics went on a 6-0 run to end the first quarter with a 24-18 lead. Although, the first quarter was the only quarter Washington ended with a lead.
The Sun took over for the remaining three quarters. But the momentum really started changing in the third when they outscored Washington 27-18. At one point in the third quarter, Washington led by 10 but Connecticut’s dominant three-point shooting helped them take the lead. The Sun made almost half of their three-point attempts, while the Mystics struggled shooting 6-of-28.
Late in the fourth quarter, the Mystics trimmed an 11 point deficit down to four, but Connecticut prevailed in the end with an eight-point lead.
- Why weren’t there enough double teams of Jonquel Jones? Jones finished the game with 24 points and seven rebounds, missing only two attempts. The defensive efforts in the paint weren’t as strong for Washington and it showed facing Jones throughout.
- Kristi Toliver was MIA in the shooting aspect but made up for it in assists (6) and rebounds (4). Toliver was 2-11 overall, 0-5 from three-point range.
- The BENCH MOB needed another player, besides Aerial Powers (14 points) to keep the balanced momentum going.
What was good
Despite the Mystics’ loss, everyone scored except for one player. The ball was distributed evenly among the team, which is good. But at the same time, someone needed to keep Connecticut on their toes. Even if the Mystics wanted to blame the first loss on not having Elena Delle Donne in the first meeting, they just couldn’t use it tonight because she was on the floor for the entire game.
Final Stat Lines
- Ariel Atkins: 18 pts, 5stl, 3 reb
- Aerial Powers: 14 pts
- Elena Delle Donne: 13 pts, 6 reb, 4ast
- Natasha Cloud: 12 pts, 8ast, 4 reb, 2stl
Washington heads home for a rematch of the WNBA Finals on Friday night when they face the Seattle Storm. Tip off is at 7 p.m. ET.