Washington Wizards head coach Wes Unseld, Jr. will have a press conference with the media at 3:30 p.m. ET today. We expect the event to be emotional, given that the one-time Wizards assistant coach and son the greatest player in franchise history already has deep ties here. But we also look forward to hearing him on what his ideas to improve the Wizards’ offense and defense are as well.
In the meantime, here are some links from around the NBA on his hire:
- Here’s our article from last Saturday when he was officially named the head coach. Kevin Broom also had a piece yesterday on Unseld’s arrival and a challenge that goes beyond him: improving the Wizards’ talent.
- At Denver Stiffs, SB Nation NBA’s Nuggets blog, Ryan Blackburn had a release on Unseld which you can find here.
- Michael Lee of The Washington Post stressed that Unseld became the Wizards head coach more so because of his 24-year coaching career than because of his dad. Jerry Brewer also describes Unseld as forward-thinking.
- Fred Katz of The Athletic gave some insights into Unseld’s hiring process, where he gave suggestions on how he would have utilized Bradley Beal and Deni Avdija, among other things.
- Julius Long of NBC Sports Washington had an article on what the Nuggets think of Unseld. From an interview Chris Miller had with Tim Connelly, their President of Basketball Operations, he calls the younger Unseld “the opposite of a legacy hire” for the Wizards.
These are far from the only links on Unseld, but just some of the many links that had a different tidbit on the Wizards’ biggest move to date this offseason.