Now, he could be on the Wizards’ roster for the rest of the season.
According to Candace Buckner of The Washington Post, the Wizards are considering signing him to an extension for the rest of the 2019-20 season. However, since he’s on the team due to an injury hardship, someone on the current roster will have to be cut for him.
Here are the possible players who could be on the “chopping block” for Payton:
- Justin Robinson — The guard was re-assigned to the G League last weekend and hasn’t played very much for Washington despite being signed to a multi-year contract. If he is cut, Robinson will receive at least $250,000, though he could get more depending on how much of the season goes by IF he is cut. Of all the players on Washington’s roster, Robinson is certainly on a short list for it.
- Ian Mahinmi — If this happens, he will likely have the remainder of his contract bought out. That said, Mahinmi has managed to dodge every rumor or call for his contract to be cut or stretched so far. I’d let him finish his contract with dignity. After all, he’s taken a lot of crap from Wizards fans just for being on the team. Your anger is misplaced mes amies!
- Anzejs Pasceniks — I find this unlikely given that he is averaging 9.2 points and 4.7 rebounds per game so far. Burt
- Admiral Schofield — Like Robinson, he is in the G League on assignment. That said, I don’t see Schofield getting cut. He plays a different position and is a 2019 draft pick.
- Isaiah Thomas — Yes, he is the starting point guard while John Wall is out, but you can also make an argument that his scoring talents are best left for a better performing team. It’s possible that Thomas could be cut, assuming there is a market for his services in the post-trade deadline period.
- Johnathan Williams — Williams is on the Wizards through an injury hardship like Payton. Yes, he started last Saturday. But let’s be honest. Williams’ days are numbered and he probably won’t be in a Wizards uniform for that much longer, barring another injury.
Would you like to see Payton remain on the Wizards for the rest of the 2019-20 season? Let us know in the comments below.