The Wizards unveiled their 2017 preseason schedule on Thursday afternoon, and it looks a bit different than what we’ve seen in recent years:
- Monday, October 2 at 7 p.m. vs. Guangzhou Long-Lions at Capital One Arena
- Friday, October 6 at 7 p.m. vs. New York Knicks at Capital One Arena
- Sunday, October 8 at 3 p.m. vs. Cleveland Cavaliers at Capital One Arena
- Wednesday, October 11 at 7:30 p.m. vs. Miami Heat at American Airlines Arena
- Friday, October 13 at at 7:30 p.m. vs. New York Knicks at Madison Square Garden
Thanks to changes in the NBA regular season schedule, the preseason is now shorter than it’s been in previous years, which is why you only see five games this year instead of seven or eight like previous seasons.
The game against Guangzhou is also an interesting addition. The Wizards have played against international clubs in the past, but this is the first time they’ve played against a team in the Chinese Basketball Association. If nothing else, most fans should recognize at least one player on the Long-Lions’ roster: Tyler Hansbrough, who signed with the team in July.
Also, for those wondering: The Wiz game on Sunday, October 8 will not conflict with the Redskins, who are on a bye. However, there’s always a chance it could run opposite a Nationals playoff game.