School’s ended throughout the entire D.C. area and it’ll be July 4th before you know it. Let’s get to the main storylines of the week:
The Wizards acquire Tim Frazier for their second round pick
The Wizards have been looking for a backup point guard for quite some time. It looks like Trey Burke and Brandon Jennings are on their way out. So they used their second round pick to get Tim Frazier from the Pelicans last Wednesday. Frazier put up 7.1 points and 5.2 assists a game last season, so there’s good reason to believe that he may finally be the answer to giving John Wall a breather.
I know a lot of you are pissed off that there’s no draft pick. But as Mike Sykes noted on Friday, the Wizards aren’t good at drafting, but they’ve pulled their fair share of trades. Therefore, it makes sense to trade away a pick who probably wouldn’t make the team anyway.
Wizards start filling their Summer League roster spots
The Wizards didn’t draft anyone. But they still had a chance to pick up some undrafted free agents. Here they are so far:
- Villanova’s Kris Jenkins
- Central Michigan’s Marcus Keene
- Florida’s Devin Robinson, Pitt’s Michael Young, Kevin Pangos, Maalik Wayns
The Wizards have a G-League Team now!
No, I didn’t mispell the D-League. It’s really called the G-League now. But the bottom line is this. The Wizards now have a development team of their own. They will begin play in the 2018-19 NBA season.
And more Wizards stuff
- Bradley Beal tweeted congratulations to fellow Missouri resident Jayson Tatum. He’s just not happy that Tatum’s on the Celtics because he was drafted third.
- Marcin Gortat has been busy filling goody bags for studious kids in Krakow, Poland
- J. Michael of CSN Mid Atlantic detailed Scott Brooks after the NBA Draft ended, when he openly acknowledged about “What Ifs: regarding his time with the Thunder and with former star Kevin Durant.
- Clippers forward Blake Griffin opted to enter unrestricted free agency. CSN Mid Atlantic’s Sports Talk Live staff talked about whether the Wizards should consider making a run for him.
Emma Meesseman is dominating in EuroBasket Women 2017
The Belgian women’s national team clinched the semifinals on Thursday after beating Italy in the quarterfinals. The win also gives Belgium their first ever World Cup berth next year.
Emma Meesseman has done a schitterend job leading the way. They play Spain later today for a chance to earn a medal in this tournament. In Belgium, it’s so unreal that King Filip of Belgium:
and soccer star Thibaut Courtois are showing love to the team:
Proficiat @TheBelgianCats !! Op naar de finale nu!— Thibaut Courtois (@thibautcourtois) June 22, 2017
And here are some more links in English, not Nederlands (no, that’s not a misspelled word for Netherlands) to the extent possible:
- Meesseman says that she believes she is living a dream in an interview with FIBA’s folks in Prague, Czech Republic.
- Meesseman’s highlights are below:
- And Elle Ward snapped this photo from Meesseman’s Instagram story. For those of you unfamiliar with that, it’s a feature not unlike Snapchat videos. Emma, YOU CAN’T DIE!
The Mystics lost two in a row
The Mystics themselves aren’t doing as well. They lost on Sunday to the Wings despite leading early. And they never led on Friday in a blowout loss to the Lynx. The Mystics weren’t just missing Meesseman. Mike Thibault’s father also passed away. In the meantime, I wrote up some observations that I noticed since the season started.
EDD believes that Ted Leonsis is the best WNBA owner
I don’t have time to elaborate more on this until next week.
But Elena Delle Donne and Ted Leonsis were featured on a Marie Claire article earlier this week. In it, Delle Donne praised Leonsis and Thibault for building the current culture. She also praised him by calling him the best WNBA team owner. There are also some more snippets on what’s to come with that new arena that they and the Wizards’ G-League team will play in the not-too-distant-future.
And that’s it!
These are the main storylines for the week that was. If you have another link you’d like to share, feel free to do so in a FanPost or the comments below.
Thanks, and I hope you’re enjoying the start to summer!