One of the big keys to the Wizards’ turnaround has been Markieff Morris’ improvement across the board this month. He’s helped turn the Wizards’ good starting lineup into a great starting lineup that’s building leads so big even when the bench struggles, they can still keep the team in the lead.
So what’s been the key to Morris’ personal turnaround? it all started with an article ranking the best power forwards in the NBA, according to Candace Buckner of the Washington Post:
A couple weeks ago, his agent sent him a text. There was a note about a Bleacher Report story that listed the NBA’s top 30 power forwards at the halfway point of the season. Morris didn’t click the link or see the names; he only read Dan Brinkley’s message.
“They didn’t have me on there,” Morris recalled.
Let that sink in. There are 30 starting power forwards in the NBA. Morris fills that role for the 26-20 Wizards and wasn’t even considered to be better than 29th-ranked David Lee, who averages 7.1 points and 5.4 rebounds while coming off the bench for the San Antonio Spurs.
Here at Bullets Forever, we could’ve told you Morris was a top-30 power forward, even when he struggled at the start of the season. But since Morris seems to feed so well off of disrespect, the only proper response is to throw more shade his way. So here goes nothing:
- The only player who should ever be allowed to wear a Wizards #5 jersey is Kwame Brown. You sir, are no Kwame Brown.
- I remember another Wizards power forward who looked good for one month: Jan Vesely.
- Chief Keef? More like Chump Keef.
- UPDATE: Oh yeah, Josh Howard wore number 5 for the Wizards. You sir, are no Josh Howard.
- You’re a stretch 4 in the same way eating Superman-branded cereal counts as eating a superfood.
- You have as many Player of the Week awards as Dion Waiters. Just think about that.
- UPDATE #2: Juwan Howard wore number 5 for the Wizards as well. Markieff, I grew up with Juwan. I had his basketball card. I would call him a friend even though I’ve never met him. Markieff, you’re no Juwan Howard.
- Washington needs a jersey retirement ceremony to Juwan Howard, Josh Howard, and Kwame Brown and they should make sure you’re not invited because you’d drag the whole thing down.
- UPDATE #3: Wizards legend Dominic McGuire also wore #5. I once watched Dominic McGuire steal a ball from Baron Davis because he was lazy to chase after it when it was poked away from him. You sir, are no Dominic McGuire.
- If it’s any consolation, you’re definitely top 30 in the NBA in watching siblings score game-winners next to you, so you’ve got that going for you.