The month of August has finally arrived. That means that we have also hit those “Dog Days of Summer.” With the Olympics going on next week, there isn’t much going on with the Wizards or Mystics.
Wizards stories on the web
- Jake spoke with Good Bull Hunting in regard to what Danuel House could offer this season.
- John Wall has played a lot of minutes with the Wizards in his NBA career so far.
- Earlier this week, the Oklahoma City Thunder signed Russell Westbrook to a three-year contract extension, one year earlier than necessary. He also gets to cash in on some extra dollars today. Unfortunately, John Wall will still just get paid as much as Reggie Jackson, the BASKETBALL PLAYER, not Mr. October (who’s below):
- John Wall and Bradley Beal are great players, but the bookies don’t think they’ll be MVP quality.
- Could Derek Fisher be a player-assistant coach for the Wizards? He’s in excellent shape, but please! No!
- Alan Anderson signed a deal with the Los Angeles Clippers.
- Garrett Temple was the Wizards’ teammate of the 2015-16 season while Ian Mahinmi was the Pacers’ according to player voting. Ben Mehic of Wiz of Awes has more.
- Dan Steinberg of The Washington Post talked to former Wizards owner Irene Pollin recently. She gave some additional insight on what went down when her husband told Michael Jordan in 2003 that he would not remain as the team’s President of Basketball Operations.
Mystics go to the beach, hang out, and get engaged during Olympic break
With the Mystics on hiatus for a month, their players are taking some time off to enjoy the summer as well.
Natasha Cloud wore a John Wall jersey while at the beach:
Stefanie Dolson’s with family at the beach.
Kahleah Copper and Kia Vaughn took a picture with their college head coach from their Rutgers days, C. Vivian Stringer:
For one player, this year’s Olympic Break isn’t simply about going to the beach. She has an announcement to make.
Jamie Weisner got engaged to her boyfriend, former Oregon State cornerback Larry Scott. Scott signed an undrafted free agent deal with the San Diego Chargers and is in training camp for them.
That time of year when we write about random ideas
August is a time when nothing of consequence goes around — at least in the NBA, it’s a great time to talk about ideas that we otherwise don’t have much time for during the rest of the year. Yes, we have the Olympics this year, but no Wizards player is on a national team. As for the Mystics, one player, LaToya Sanders, is on the Turkish national team.
But in general, we’re in the doldrums so we put some of the crazy ideas we’ve been thinking about and make them real blog posts.
- One of those ideas is a #SoWizards All-Star Weekend. Jake and Adam McGinnis of Truth About It talked over some ideas like a very bad dunk contest, three point shooting, skills challenge, and All-Star lineups. It’s so bad that it’s good.
- Staying on the topic of bad Wizards moments, we revisited the Jerry Stackhouse for Richard Hamilton trade. No, Ernie Grunfeld DIDN’T DO IT.
- Brandon Nguyen of Wizards Xtra wrote that the Wizards would probably be worse off if GunGate didn’t happen.
- Another one is about the NBA’s fascination with European expansion. Which six cities would be in your list?
- We had a lot of Dutch readers who liked the idea of an NBA team in Amsterdam. Sorry Emma.
That’s all I have for this week’s news. If you have something more you’d like to share feel free to do so in the comments or in a FanPost.