With all the games in Group A of the men’s bracket and all groups of the women’s bracket now complete, here’s how it all looks like:
Men’s Basketball Group A Final Standings
- United States (5-0)
- Australia (4-1)
- France (3-2)
- Serbia (2-3)
- Venezuela (1-4) - eliminated
- China (0-5) - eliminated
Women’s Basketball Group B Final Standings and quarterfinal opponents
- United States (5-0) - plays Japan, 4th seed in Group A
- Spain (4-1) - plays Turkey, 3rd seed in Group A
- Canada (3-2) - plays France, 2nd seed in Group A
- Serbia (2-3) - plays Australia, 1st seed in Group A
- China (1-4) - eliminated
- Senegal (1-5) - eliminated
The quarterfinals begin on Tuesday.
Men’s Basketball Group B Standings
Today, Group B of the men’s basketball tournament will come to an end. We’ll finally get to see which team the Americans will play on Wednesday when the quarterfinals begin. Here are Group B’s standing as of now.
- T-1: Argentina (3-1)
- T-1: Lithuania (3-1)
- T-3: Spain (2-2)
- T-3: Croatia (2-2)
- 5: Brazil (1-3)
- 6: Nigeria (1-3)
Let’s take a look at the games:
- Nigeria at Brazil, 1:15 p.m. ET - Brazil has played very well throughout these games but only have one win to show for it. The 111-107 loss to Argentina is certainly one for the ages. It looks like Brazil’s hopes to move on to the quarterfinals is now done, but this is a game they’d play hard in regardless. Nigeria — even with their surprising win over Croatia — is the weakest team in the group, so they should win. But it’s of course not a guarantee. This game will be on NBC SportsNet and Telemundo.
- Spain vs. Argentina, 6 p.m. ET - This will be the game of the night. Argentina is going for the number one seed in the group. This game is also on NBCSportsNet, and for a Spanish language feed, tune to NBC Universo.
- Lithuania vs. Croatia, 9:30 p.m. ET - This game will also be quite competitive and involves two of Europe’s best teams. Unfortunately, you’re stuck with the streaming option only of NBCOlympics.com, but you will have the Basketball Channel as well. Lithuania also has a shot to be the number one seed as well, while Croatia wants to finish group play on the right track since they didn’t play so well against Nigeria.