This month of July seems to have gone by pretty quickly for me so far. The Fourth of July and Summer League weren’t that long ago, but we’re actually pretty close to the month of August when the Olympics start now that the Wizards’ and Mystics’ have gone through a major portion of their pre-Olympic activities. Let’s get to them.
Wizards clinch a quarterfinal berth in the Vegas Summer League
We have a couple wrap-up pieces in regard to Summer League. I handed out Keys to the Palace to Oubre, Jarell Eddie, and Danuel House for their performances in Vegas. In addition, Jake and Alan went on our Podcast to chat more about it and some additional things going on with the Wizards which I will get to in a bit.
The Mystics have lost six in a row
Last Friday, the Mystics were on the receiving end of an 80-51 blow out to the Seattle Storm. That game had a lot of national implications, but for us here in D.C., it was a horrible way to finish a five-game road trip when they came up empty.
If insult came to injury, Tayler Hill and Bria Hartley got injured in the Seattle game, while Ivory Latta and Natasha Cloud also got hurt during a weekend practice. The injury forced Hill to sit out Wednesday’s 88-81 home loss to the New York Liberty.
The Mystics face the Los Angeles Sparks tonight before the Olympic Break. I hope they can start their vacations off on the right note.
Jae Crowder threw dirt on the Wizards to sway Al Horford
This week would have been pretty ho hum, but the Celtics swingman used Boston’s head to head record against Washington and their post-oriented system as pitches. I guess we have a new rival out east thanks to this....
- Jake took us back in time when JaVale McGee dominating the NBA could have been for real. Kinda.
- Tomas Satoransky will be an NBA rookie, but he’s a seasoned pro. Judge him accordingly. Speaking about Satoransky, his deal is now official.
- There are a lot of centers on the Wizards. But Marcin Gortat is a “bang for your buck” guy. He really is. #PolskaWizards4Life
- Mitch Northam had a Q&A with Zach Oliver of Orlando Pinstriped Post on how Andrew Nicholson will fit in with the Wizards.
- tdickson3 wrote this FanPost on why Trey Burke will fit in nicely this season for D.C.
- Dan Steinberg of the Washington Post wrote about former Wizards broadcaster Frank Herzog, who was inducted to the D.C. Sports Hall of Fame. He was the man behind the mic when Washington won the 1978 NBA Finals, and he also called Redskins games during their heyday.
- J. Michael of CSN Mid-Atlantic reported earlier this week that Aaron White is unlikely to be on the Wizards this season. Last year, he played for Telekom Baskets Bonn in Germany’s Basketball Bundesliga (or the premier division). This season, he’s trying to play for a team in Eastern (Turkey or Russia) or Southern Europe (Spain) which has a higher level of play than in Germany.
So, these are some but not all of the links from the past week. If you have one you’d like to share, feel free to do so in the comments or in a FanPost. Have a great weekend.