On Monday, USA Basketball announced 11 players to be on their women’s select team. The select team is a group of young WNBA players who will be a practice team that will take part in scrimmages against the senior squad in preparation for the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro next month. Two Mystics players: third-year center Stefanie Dolson and rookie swingman Kahleah Copper were named to the team.
The other players are:
- Kelsey Bone, Phoenix Mercury
- Natasha Howard, Minnesota Lynx
- Jewell Loyd, Seattle Storm
- Tiffany Mitchell, Indiana Fever
- Aerial Powers, Dallas Wings
- Sugar Rodgers, New York Liberty
- Odyssey Sims, Dallas Wings
- Kiah Stokes, New York Liberty
- Elizabeth Williams, Atlanta Dream
The Select Team will also play in an exhibition game against the senior team on July 25, 2016 at USC’s Galen Center in Los Angeles.
I’m pleasantly surprised and pleased to see that Copper made the Select Team. In addition, I’m glad to see that Dolson will be on the Select Team despite missing the final cut for the senior team earlier this spring.