First, thanks to Elle Ward for helping chip in Top Stories of the Week over the last couple weeks while I was out of commission for each of the last two weekends. There has been plenty of news over the past seven days so let's get to it!
John Wall wins the 2015-16 NBA Community Assist Award
Wall beat out nine other NBA players including some big names like Pelicans post Anthony Davis and Thunder forward Kevin Durant. Though I'm sure that Davis and Durant do plenty of good for the people in New Orleans and Oklahoma City, I'm particularly happy to see that Wall won this award for the things he has done in Washington, D.C.
I get that Wall winning an MVP award or an NBA title is more desirable since that is tied to his performance as a player. However, unlike Charles Barkley back in the day, NBA players are role models off the court. Wall has been that type of player from the very beginning, whether it is handing out free shoes on Halloween or missing a game in order to take part in a charity walk.
Wall accepted the award on Thursday and also gave an interview to Monumental Sports Network here.
So... about KD2DC...
I'm not banking on Durant coming to Washington. But the Thunder squandered a 3-1 series lead against the Golden State Warriors in the Western Conference Finals and are facing a rather uncertain offseason. For KD2DC purposes, Durant is the main focus, but next season is also Russell Westbrook and Serge Ibaka's last years on their deals. So, there's a lot of things in flux for them over the next couple of seasons if Durant takes his talents elsewhere this summer, or even if he signs a one-year extension.
Jake has this quick Q&A here for you to enjoy.
Other BF Wizards stuff
Here's a roundup of some of the best things I've read this week:
- Nick Bilka wondered out loud if the Wizards should extend Otto Porter now in his evaluation.
- A number of us discussed whether Bradley Beal would be worth a maximum level contract extension from the Wizards this summer. That's not the same as asking whether he is getting one.
- On that note, ajmack wrote this FanPost that max level deals this summer -- whether to Beal or anyone else won't be good deals because of the exploding salary cap. When you think about it, even Kevin Durant's deal isn't going to be "as good" from the standpoint of penny pinching.
- Our latest podcast focused on the John Wall vs. Russell Westbrook debate and more of your questions.
- And Jake also has some "non-sexy" free agent targets for the good guys this July.
- Finally, check out Kelly Oubre working on his shooting game.
More Wizards News
Here are some other cool stories around the Wizards:
- Wizards head coach Scott Brooks has been out and about meeting players. He most recently went to Spain to visit Tomas Satoransky. Ben Mehic of Wiz of Awes has more.
- Scott Allen of The Washington Post wrote a feature on local rapper Paperboy Prince who started a GoFundMe campaign to lure Durant to Washington. The goal is to raise $20 million. Even though that campaign has a ways to go, but once the campaign reaches its goal, any funds raised will be donated to one of Durant's charities or to the Wizards.
The Mystics aren't doing too good
Now we focus on the Mystics, who could use a jolt in the standings.
They are currently 2-5, which isn't a promising start by any stretch. In addition, they have lost all but one game by double digits. Their most recent loss was to the Chicago Sky this past Wednesday at home. They still have yet to win a game at Verizon Center for that matter.
When it's all said and done, the Mystics had a 2-1 road trip recently and that helped them move up to 9th in the latest WNBA Power Poll.
Despite their not-so-great record, let's keep in mind that this is a very young team, and they don't have any older veteran leadership besides Ivory Latta who just started playing last week. Also, the young players who the Mystics have drafted over the past several seasons are now veterans themselves so this is a new wrinkle into the fold for them as well.
The Mystics play tonight at 8:30 p.m. ET against the Sky on the road in a rematch of Wednesday's game.
But look at Bria Hartley go!
I am shamelessly posting this highlight. She's making more of these crossovers before her career's done.
So that's all I have in this roundup. There are a lot more links out there in the world, so if there's something you'd like to share, feel free to do so in the comments or in a FanPost. enjoy the weekend everyone!