The Wizards are adding a little experience to their summer league squad. James Southerland, who played at Syracuse and had brief NBA stints with the Bobcats and Pelicans, and has played in previous summer leagues for the 76ers, Warriors, Pelicans, and Thunder, will be on the Wizards’ squad this summer, according to Mike Waters of the Syracuse Post-Standard:
A source close to Southerland confirmed that the former SU player has agreed to play for the Wizards in the Las Vegas summer league, which runs from July 8 to 18. The league consists of teams representing 24 different NBA clubs.
Southerland's return to the NBA summer league indicates a desire to return to the NBA after spending the last two years in Europe.
Southerland, a 6-foot-8 forward, split this past season playing for two teams in Europe. He began the year with Vanoli Cremona of the Italian League's Serie A.
As a perimeter player, Southerland will have his work cut out for him as he fights for playing time against other players on the Wizards’ Summer League roster, which is particularly deep at the wing.
Here’s the Wizards’ Summer League roster as of this writing:
- Kelly Oubre (1st round pick in 2015)
- Aaron White (2nd round pick in 2015)
- Jarell Eddie (Signed to the Wizards’ roster in December, has a team option for 2016)
- Jaleel Roberts (Played on the Wizards’ Summer League team last season and also participated in team’s training camp.)
- Sheldon McClellan (Signed to a partially guaranteed deal)
- Danuel House
- Jacob Tarczewski
- Shawn Dawson
- Daniel Ochefu
- Sterling Gibbs
- James Southerland