In case you are wondering, it sounds like Randy Wittman will be signing a three-year contract extension that'll pay him somewhere between $9 and $10.5 million over the course of the deal, per NBA.com's David Aldridge.
Wizards'3-yr deal w/Randy Wittman is in the $3-$3.5M range annually, per industry source. @WojYahooNBA first to report deal was close.— David Aldridge (@daldridgetnt) May 27, 2014
Coach salaries are very tough to pin down, but for comparison's sake:
- Dwane Casey's new contract will pay him just under $4 million annually for three years, according to Aldridge.
- Steve Kerr, of course, signed a 5-year, $25 million contract with the Warriors. Mark Jackson's deal was for only three years and $6 million.
- Stan Van Gundy got a five-year, $35 million deal to be the Pistons' coach and GM.
- I haven't been able to nail down what Terry Stotts' new salary is, but he got his option picked up for next year and had two additional years tacked on.
- Flip Saunders received a four-year, $18 million deal in 2009. He was fired during the third year.
- Wittman barely got much of a raise from his assistant coach salary when he signed a two-year deal in 2012.
Of course, coach salaries don't count against the salary cap, so it doesn't matter nearly as much what Wittman makes, at least in terms of team-building.