The 2012-13 Washington Wizards schedule was officially released on Thursday night, and the Wizards will begin their 82-game slate on the road against the Cleveland Cavaliers on October 30 at 7 p.m. The game will be literally the very first game of the 2012-13 season, and it'll be going on at the same time as the Heat-Celtics game at 8 p.m. on TNT.
The Wizards' home opener will be four days later, when they take on the Boston Celtics on November 3 at 7 p.m. They will be on national TV just once: a February 27 tilt at home against the Detroit Pistons. That's kind of weird. They're also slated to be on NBATV twice: November 30 on the road against the Knicks and January 26 at home against the Bulls.
Other interesting tidbits:
- The Wizards are slated to play 20 back-to-backs. They break down as follows:
- Seven are home/road. In order: Bucks-->Pacers, Lakers-->Heat (ouch), Hawks--->Magic, Magic--->Bulls, Mavericks--->Pacers, Bulls--->Raptors, Pacers--->Celtics
- Five are road/home. In order: Hawks-->Warriors, Pistons--->Pistons, Nets--->Bobcats, Cavaliers--->Bucks, Knicks--->Heat.
- Five are road/road. In order: Bobcats--->Mavericks, Hornets--->Rockets, Nuggets--->Clippers, Grizzlies-->Spurs, Lakers--->Warriors.
- Three are home/home. In order: Timberwolves--->Bulls, Nuggets--->Rockets, Hornets--->Suns.
- The Wizards' longest road trip is when they play five games from January 16-23.
- Weirdly enough, that means the Wizards won't be at home on Martin Luther King Jr. day. Instead, they'll be in Portland to face the Blazers.
- The Wizards play only three games against the Celtics, Cavaliers, Bucks and 76ers. They'll host the Celtics and Cavaliers just once, and they'll play just one road game against the Bucks and 76ers.
- The Wizards have an eight-game-in-12-day stretch in December. Their opponents: at New Orleans, at Houston, LA Lakers, at Miami, Atlanta, at Orlando, at Detroit, Detroit.
- Key former player returns to Verizon Center are as follows: JaVale McGee (February 22), Nick Young (February 4), Rashard Lewis (December 4).
More to come, but for now, here's the full schedule.