clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Playoff Scenarios

New, comments

Going into the final day of the regular season, it is still unclear what seed the Wizards will get in the playoffs.  It all depends on what happens in the games tomorrow.  Both the Magic and the Nets have the tiebreakers over the Wizards.

Here are the possible scenarios:

Wizards win, Nets and Magic lose: Wizards (41-41) get sixth seed, Nets (40-42) get seventh seed, and Magic (39-43) get eighth seed.

Wizards and Magic win, Nets lose: Same as previous scenario, except the Magic will be 40-42 instead of 39-43.

Wizards and Nets win, Magic lose: Nets (41-41) get sixth seed, Wizards (41-41) get seventh seed, and Magic (39-43) get eighth seed.

All three teams win: Same as previous scenario, except the Magic will be 40-42 instead of 39-43.

Wizards and Nets lose, Magic win: Nets (40-42) get sixth seed, Magic (40-42) get seventh seed, and Wizards (40-42) get eighth seed.  

Wizards lose, Nets and Magic win: Same as previous, except the Nets are 41-41.

All three lose: Nets (40-42) get sixth seed, Wizards (40-42) get seventh seed, and Magic (39-43) get eighth seed.

Nets win, Wizards and Magic lose: Same as previous, except the Nets are 41-41 instead of 40-42.

Confused?  Basically, there's a 50 percent chance the Wizards will be seventh and play either Chicago or Cleveland, a 25 percent chance they finish sixth and play Toronto, and a 25 percent chance they finish eighth and play Detroit.

To have any chance of getting the sixth seed back, the Wizards need to beat Indiana tomorrow.  That's all they can control at this point.