I posted this in the post game section but I wanted your thoughts on this.
I cringed every time Chuck or Bill Simmons went all in on the Wizards.
A few issues:
No adjustments whatsoever from Randy Wittman. Frank Vogel owned him this game. He’s just a fantastic coach. Called perfect timeouts at the slightest hint of a Washington run and the Wiz got flattened.
Here are the keys to winning the series if the Wiz can man up and do it:
- The Wiz need to get tougher and more physical. Harder fouls, get flagrants, technicals, whatever. Pacers think they can push the Wiz around and right now they are right. Have to at least match it if they have any chance of winning.
- More post ups to Nene and Gortat please. West and Scola have no chance of defending either. Go at them and get them in foul trouble early.
- Something like 7 seconds or less. Wiz basically wasted half of every possession dribbling around.
- I was screaming at the TV when the Pacers went on the run in the 3rd. The only way the Wiz were gonna get back in the game was to relentlessly attack the rim and force the refs to give them calls.
- Rim attack along with a commitment to shooting threes like they were going out of style was the other piece. The Wiz HAD SHOT nine threes in this game by the time it was almost over. Inexcusable.
In the end, those, I really think are the keys. It all boils down to being proactive and dictating to the Pacers. Indiana has regained control because they began to dictate to the Wiz in the second game and it carried over to the third. The issue is the Wiz just folded.
Let’s just say I’m not optimistic at all moving forward. The worst part of all this is that Grunfeld will be praised by Ted when the Wiz lose this series 4-1. he will say they’ve made progress. I say, barely.