So saw this article comparing the present nba stars to past stars, basically which nba player from the past do they remind most of. And so I thought it would be fun to discuss John's match.
But first here's a summary of the main guys from the article (LINK):
LBJ = Dr. J
Durant = Iceman Gervin
Blake = Kemp/Malone
CP3 = Stockton/Thomas
As for John Wall, here's some points:
- We always discuss on the threads that he's kind of a GP but more athletic.
- I remember when he was coming out of college there was an ESPN article saying how John's Jason Kidd 2.0.
- I guess you can't count his draft profiles b/c they compare him to guys of his own era (Rose/Westbrook).
- And John's mentioned several times that growing up his favorite player is AI, but I don't think they're similar aside from speed I guess.
So out of all the retired great players, I think John's a bit of a mix of GP and J.Kidd, like 65% GP and 35% Kidd:
- John's already a better scorer than Kidd ever was, but not sure he'll ever be as great a passer. Mainly John's fast paced transition game reminds me most of Kidd's, in how he's able to make reads and passes at such high speeds.
- John's still got room to be as good a scorer, rebounder, and obv. defender, as GP was. But he might already be a better passer than GP was. Overall John's persona/intensity and potential reminds me most of GP.
In conclusion, to me John's an ultra athletic and fast, modern GP. And if you compare their 4th year stats, John's doing pretty well comparably (against J.Kidd as well):
GP: 16.5ppg, 6.0apg, 3.3rpg, 2.3stpg, 0.2bpg, 60%ft, 28%3pt, 50%fg (but decreased well into his prime)
Wall: 19.8ppg, 8.8apg, 4.1rpg, 1.9stlpg, 0.5bpg, 81%ft, 36%3pt, 44%fg
So who's John Wall most like from NBA players of the past? Is there someone else other than GP or Kidd?
And I guess someone (maybe mvpbeal4ever lol) can do one for Brad.