Rice initially suffered the injury on December 17, which is about a month ago. From the sounds of it, he'll remain with Iowa through the Wizards' West Coast swing that starts on Friday. He's been cleared to resume all basketball activities, so I'd think he'll play in a number of games while in Iowa.
The obvious immediate follow-up question here pertains to the Wizards' other rookie, Otto Porter. He too was dealing with an injury that pushed him behind the 8 ball earlier this season. He too could likely have used some game experience to get his conditioning up before returning to the parent club. Heck, he still could use some game experience to get his confidence back. And yet, he remained/remains in D.C. while Rice is shipped out to Iowa.
UPDATE: Randy Wittman's pregame interview touched on these questions.
Randy Wittman said Glen Rice's assignment is strictly a rehab stint because team won't have much practice this month. #wizards— Michael Lee (@MrMichaelLee) January 20, 2014
Wittman added that the D-League could eventually be an option for Otto Porter Jr. but not right now #wizards— Michael Lee (@MrMichaelLee) January 20, 2014
- Magical Pixels, Wizards vs. Pistons: Maybe just don't let Washington know when it's at .500?
- Wizards vs. Pistons: .500 remains out of reach as Washington falls, 104-98
- Wizards vs. Pistons final score: .500 eludes Washington again
- The Wizards don't panic: How the win over the Bulls was kickstarted in the third quarter
- Wizards vs. Bulls: How Nene and John Wall saved the day