Okay I know there are a million trade proposals out there on this site, most on here know I won't put anything outlandish on here, so before I put this together I gave this some serious thought. Although I'm unsure that this is likely to happen, I was curious to see how many fellow Wizards fans would be open to this, check it out:
Benefits for the Lakers:
- Allows them to get something back for losing Dwight (assuming he doesn't want to go back to LA)
- Okafor would be a great compliment to Gasol and gives them a legit big to contend next year for at least a playoff spot.
- Team instantly becomes deeper once Kobe is able to return healthy.
- Could use the #3 Pick to pick up someone like Ben McLemore who could eventually replace Kobe once he retires
- Relieves Cap space for the Lakers as all three players would be eligible to come off the books next year and they would save a ton in luxury taxes there after. If Kobe still retires after next year, then they would finally be under the cap, with a foundational player (draft pick) on a rookie contract, which could allow them to sign a big name free agent.
Benefits for Wizards:
- Getting one of the league's premier Big men where he can still dominant defensively and compliments the rest of the roster.
- Goes along with the defensive construct of current roster
- Have a young foundation of Wall, Beal and Howard for at least 4 years and possibly more.
- Make use of expiring contracts to get one of the best possible returns you can get.
I know there are a lot of holes to fill with this one. I'm sure some of you dislike Howard, but none of us would deny his raw ability and the potential that he has. If Ernie is serious about making good use of the expiring contracts, then to me this might be the best opportunity to do so. For anyone of you who are cap gurus please let us know if this is a feasible trade or if not, what would have to change for it to work, if it doesn't work already. Other than that, I would love to hear thoughts from fans. Would you be open to Dwight coming here? Do you think this would be worth the risk?