Depending on how free agency goes this offseason, the team may or may not retain Martell Webster. I'm hoping they do, and in addition to drafting Otto Porter, find two more solid backcourt players to fortify our wing positions.
In a perfect world, we'd somehow sign Jarrett Jack and Gary Neal. Of course, with EG as our GM, we're probably gonna just re-sign Temple and Price, draft a 2nd round combo guard (Lorenzo Brown!) and call it a day.
But since we'll be mining the dregs anyway, why not go back to the future and bring back a popular ex-Wizard to sop up some of those reserve minutes? That's right, we need to bring back Nick Young!!!
I know some of you are saying "why the heck would we do that"? Well, here's why?
1) He'll come for cheap. He played for Philly last year on a one year, $6M deal. He won't get that sorta money this summer.
2) He's familiar with the team/players already, and understands the coaching staff's defensive philosophy. After getting benched for not playing D under Doug Collins last year, he should be humbled.
3) He's a good man defender. With Okafor and Nene behind him, I think his team defense weaknesses are minimized.
4) He can still hit the 3. His 36% mark last year is deceptively low because he fell out of the rotation (for not playing defense) the final 2 months of the season. He shot a blistering 43% from long range in the month of January.
5) He should understand his role now. He will be here to give the team 15-18mpg behind Beal. He will be expected to play within the flow of the offense and shot up for corner and transition 3's, which he's still really good at.
6) He's Swaggy P! Seriously, was there a more beloved player on this roster before Martell Webster arrived?
Our offense was terrible last year, even with Wall. Adding a solid bench scorer for a reasonable sum should be a priority. I think Nick Young can be that guy.