Above is the link to the website where I posted my thoughts on the Wizards extending Ernie Grunfelds contract, but here are the main points:
- I didn't like the move overall
- Think that Grunfeld is a bad GM, but not terrible (IE. MJ or Isiah Thomas level)
- One playoff series win in the 9 years that Grunfeld has been the Wizards GM is obviously unacceptable.
- He has basically had 2 eras: The Gil/Caron/Jamison era and the McGee/Young/Blatche era. Both failed with the 2nd one failing miserably.
- The main reason why the Wiz have been so bad since that first era is because we were very average and got average draft picks because of it. Better to be terrible in the NBA than average.
- Ernie has proven to be very bad as the Wizards GM at evaluating players and deteriming what it takes personnel wise to be a championship contender. But his saving grace is that he does a solid job of cleaning up his own messes.
- I understand to a degree why Leonsis extended him- Ernie has done a pretty good job since Ted has gotten here and has done everything that Ted asked him to do (basically cleaning up his own mess again).
- I think we have a solid future with our cap space, draft pick, and current players but I don't trust Grunfeld to make the right decisions with these options but hopefully I am wrong.