This week's bullet points, time to gear up for NBA trade rumors with the deadline coming up and other losing statistics. But first...
- I might get burned up for this...but did anyone think when the Wizards picked sixth in the lottery that we would have gotten far more value on the floor going with Othyus Jeffers instead? Jan Vesely is learning the NBA game under plenty of pressure and I like what he can become, but is the pick one more nail in Ernie Grunfeld's coffin? (Probably not.)
- Over the last four games, the Wizards have been outscored by 41 points in the third quarter. Are all the players locked inside pods watching Gatorade commercials at half-time and believe it's time to take on the world solo? Maybe this is just part of learning the gameplanning process and step 2 is making half-time adjustments...but what happens in the locker room during the break?
- The Wizards have missed 32 free throws over that same stretch. You don't want to know what percentage that comes to if you take John's numbers out of the equation. I'm sure there's a coach who is responsible for free throw shooting, but with fans calling for a specialist a la Dave Hopla for so long amid such glaring need, how long can Ted ignore it with the roster as currently constructed?
- Despite the focused, non-terminal, repeating phantasm we know as hero ball, John Wall is putting forth more effort to marshal the team in the half-court when things start falling apart. Maybe we're not seeing the results we want yet, but...progress?
- I was watching DeMarcus Cousins grabbing his own boards for putbacks using his superior strength and wondered...is that going to be Jared Sullinger's M.O. in the NBA?
- Save the Date! March 15th, 3:00 PM is the NBA trade deadline. Dust off your trade machine, don't forget it's a leap year if you're starting a countdown and remember no one is trading for Andray Blatche!
- Michael Lee sayeth true; as Nick Young goes, so go the Wiz. Lee gave stats for the first two games of the losing streak and Young has gone 9-36 from the field since. Nick normally doesn't put together stretches of bad games...so what gives? Jordan Crawford is starting to come on, and it will be interesting to see how Randy Wittman chooses to proceed after the All-Star break.
- But don't worry about Othyus the Great. Everything we've heard about the guy has been class, he's staying active:
now im a speaker! I play pro bball but im injured so until im healed completly ive been speaking at schools n engagments
And doing alright for himself in the meantime:
Hmmm, its lovely outside! Which am i rolling in today... Muscle car, exotic car, or hybrid car... Ummm to many to pick from any suggestions?
You can't keep a good man down.