This is me doing my best Detective Jimmy McNulty impersonation, but there are several facts that lead me to believe that there is a likely opportunity for the Wizards and Golden State Warriors to partner for a major trade this summer.
- The Warriors offered DeAndre Jordan 4 years $42.7 million, but that offer was matched by the Clippers
- Warriors GM Jerry West recently said "We need more chips, more players, and we'll have the capability next year," he said. "We need to solve our one glaring need at center, and once you have some chips, that's when you can make a trade or shake things up to get something you don't have. It's challenging, but I'm confident that it can be done." via the SF Chronicle.
- The Warriors have a gluttony of SG's.
- The Wizards need to find a long term replacement at SG.
The dots all seem to connect to me, as I could see the Warriors being willing to deal one of there SG's for a shot blocking/rebounding center like McGee, who posses the quickness to keep up with their tempo.
- Monta Ellis: 26 years old, is due to make $11 mil next season, with a $11 mil player option the following year.
- Stephen Curry: 23 years old, is one year away from becoming an RFA.
- Klay Thompson: 22 years old and in the first year of his rookie deal.
Keep in mind that the Warriors will most likely not have a '12 draft pick, unless it's a top 7 pick, from a trade with Utah.
How about McGee (sign and trade), along with either Crawford or Singleton for Monta Ellis?
Then make a serious run at Brook Lopez in free agency?